Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Slow paced afternoon run in London 21km - fantastic weather. Taking it easy due to the calf strain 2 weeks ago now. Held up well.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35661978

Wearing running flats. This is the first year I have used these and have gradually been increasing the distance I run in these - slowly however.

For the 10 years prior to this I have worn Asics gel kyano then after a bit of achilles soreness I added orthotics. These have been fine accept they are £100+ a pair and heavy.

The change to running flats started after I read the book "born to run"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Hidden-Ultra-Runners-Greatest/dp/1861978774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275678283&sr=8-1
I had also gone to the launch of this book. The science behind running, and what to wear, planted a bit of a seed.  I went to the marathon medical conference the day before the London marathon and heard a Professor from Harvard give a talk about barefoot running and that sealed it. If you'd like to know get in contact.

I wont have become good enough to run a fast marathon in the running flats this year but hopefully one day. The weight saving in lighter shoes saves you 5 minutes on a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment