Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Friday 27 May 2011

am Yoga
45 mins

pm Brick: Turbo Run
5mins Zone 1 85rpm
10mins Zone 2 90 rpm
5mins Zone 3 95 rpm

set - 6 x 4min 280W 65rpm concentrating on form

5mins cool down zone 1/2 90 rpm

Run off bike - 3x90secs on 90s jog recovery, 4 x 60s on 60s recovery, 4 x 15s on 15s recovery

10mins warm down to a walk.

The turbo was a killer - wasn't sure whether I had chosen the right wattage. For the last 2 sets I dialed it back to 270W as the aim wasn't to go anaerobic. So I aimed to stay below 160bpm heart rate, which is very high for me.

Very concious I haven't written anything else except for what sessions i'm doing. Hopefully there will be time soon. What I do know is that I couldn't have done this session last year. I would probably be around 260W.

Run off the bike was good - this session is ideal for teaching the ability to run fast off the bike with fatigued legs.

I feel a like the "princess and the pea" with my bike set up, lowered the saddle a fraction before starting as I thought I had gone too high, only to raise it again half way through.
I had a new insight regarding the height - if you load one leg up going round the stroke and try and push through from 9 through 12 to 3 o'clock positions my thighs protest a lot by raising the saddle (or moving the cleats forward) this is removed and I actually felt like I was spinning for the first time. I'll play around with this and see how it goes.
- It's very frustrating to think that prior to last years race I wasn't feeling good on the bike and spent hours messing with the pedals I didn't even think about changing the saddle height.
- Anyway boring myself now, just got a BUPA 10km number through the post for Monday that I must have entered - can't remember! will change things around a bit to factor that in.

Little bit of kiddie transportation as well today:



No comments:

Post a Comment