Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 29 August 2011

Run
90 mins treadmill 1% incline
800m warm up
2 x pyramids of 800m (14km/hr, 15km/hr, 16km/hr, 15km/hr, 14km/hr) on 200m walk/jog recovery
Remaining 90mins 800m repeats 14km/hr on 200m jog recovery
Lost count of how many intervals this was - total distance around 16 km

Sauna straight afterwards 20mins (1 break)

I'm not sure why i'm gravitating to the treadmill so much. I think it's because I know exactly what pace i'm working at, which can be hard on London streets.
Contolling the pace has been useful. I seem to be in a good place where the pace corresponds nicely with the distance to be run:

Marathon pace = 14km/hr
Half marathon pace = 15km/hr
10km pace = 16km/hr
5km pace = 17km/hr
3km pace = 18km/hr

There's a bit of approximation going on but it's simple and easy to remember. The distances correspond to those used in many programs to give people an indication of how fast the session should be.

At some point I need to do a long run but I know it detracts from the quality I can put into the bike.

I don't write much about the nutritional side of things - obviously it's a huge area. I did a bit of calorie counting for the UK race. This time I seem to be 1.5kg heavier with the same amount of fat - I should be pleased but am not sure.
Bought a sledge hammer today - guess it counts as core exercise swinging that around. There's the foundations of the old outside toilet to break up.

No comments:

Post a Comment