Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 12 June 2012

Weigh in 69.2kg
I don't have scales at the moment so was surprised to see it down from the usual 70kg. Maybe I don't need them as much as I thought?

Swim


1km Drill; single arm, catch up, fists
1km Hard as 4x250m on about 50secs
500m turning the arms over much faster, I wanted to used the in cap bleeper but it had mysteriously vanished from my bag.

Lots of commuting on the bike, picking up George and Will etc,

Listened to "marathon talk podcast" episode 123 - interview with Dr. Steve Ingham from English Institute of Sport. Couple of interesting points

1. It is almost impossible to get overtraining from running. You will get impact injuries first (he has seen a handful of cases). Overtraining is much more likely where you don't get impact such as cycling and swimming.
My thoughts - so running be guided by niggles etc, Cycling by coughs colds etc,

2. Recovery - see in two ways - If you want to feel better quickly or if you want to adapt. Most of the ways to feel better will reduce inflammation but in so doing you may reduce your adaptation. So just concentrate on getting the nutrients in. He was very into protein and antioxidants (Vit E & C Cherry juice)

No comments:

Post a Comment